ConnecTra’s Employment Mentorship Support Project is driven by volunteers
The program matches supportive volunteers to people with disabilities who want to be more active in their communities.
THE FINAL COHORT OF THE PROGRAM IS UNDERWAY. WE DO NOT NEED VOLUNTEERS FOR THIS PROJECT, ALTHOUGH THERE ARE OTHER AREAS YOU COULD HELP OUT.
Volunteer Mentors support individuals with disabilities who want to pursue work, training, education and social connections.
To be eligible for EMSP, our volunteers have:
- Completed a criminal record check
- Committed to volunteering half a day per week for eight months
- Be 19 or older
- Be able to read, write and understand English
- Live in, or are able to travel to North Shore, Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster, Coquitlam, Tri-Cities or Surrey
- Have at least one year of employment experience
ConnecTra can help you with the criminal record check. It's free, and can be completed directly on line through BC's Ministry of Justice, using an access code supplied to us by the provincial government.
Volunteer Mentors will attend an orientation session before startine - these are held on a regular basis at our Dowtown office; we will let you know upcoming dates when you apply. After that, each will be matched with a participant and form a game plan based on that individual's goals and needs. Typical support will include job searching and referring participants to their local WorkBC Employment Resource Centre.